Love Your Food!
Surprise surprise, a nutritionist writing about kale! I know, you’re probably tired of hearing about this so called “super food” and being told that you should eat more of it. Well that’s too bad! Kale is just SO AWESOME! It has an insane amount of nutrients, is majorly good for your health and is readily available to us here in Canada.
Buy it, grow it, just get it in ya!
I was motivated to tell you a bit about this illustrious green today after discovering a beautiful new (Canadian) cookbook dedicated entirely to the plant. The Book of Kale written by B.C. resident Sharon Hanna is full of nutrition and planting information and healthy recipes that will make your mouth water. I can’t wait to try Fermented Kale with Ginger & Miso, Sunshine Coast Salad Rolls, Kale Edamame Fritters and pretty much the entire soup section! And, as if I’m not excited enough, most of the recipes are gluten and dairy free (or provide those options)!
If you’re not already convinced to take a gander allow me to remind you of some of kale’s many health benefits:
– anti inflammatory (excellent source of vit K, quercetin and even omega 3!)
– antioxidant rich (contains a broad spectrum of carotenoids and flavonoids including kaempferol, quercetin, and lutein)
– anti-cancer, anti-bacterial/anti-viral (contains sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol characteristic of the Brassica or cruciferous vegetable family)
– immune boosting (excellent source of vitamins A and C)
– excellent for liver function and promoting detoxification
– great for diabetes prevention
– great for cardiovascular health, and maintaining healthy cholesterol levels
– protects eyes from macular degeneration and cataracts
– source of fiber, protein, and a whole whack of micronutrients
– great non-dairy source of calcium
need I say more?
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.
Thoughts from my adventures on the pavement and in the kitchen
Love Your Food!